Monday, March 23, 2009

St Paddys/ International Down Syndrome Day


You may think the title of this post is a little strange but a lot of times people celebrating St Patty’s turn into special needs cases. The last 3 of my four St. Patty’s have been in other countries, (Guatemala, Jamaica, and Ecuador,) and they have all been awesome, this year was no exception! I have been working on growing a moustache and I trimmed down the rest of the scruff that morning so It would stand out even more. I wore all green to school and after my 8.30-10 class we headed over to the bar across the street from campus… What? Its St. Paddy’s Day! After a beer which comes in a two beer serving size bottle I had to go to another class… boo… but don’t worry after my 11.30-1 class I we went right back! The again, we had to go to class. After school Kendra and I made sad excuses for brownies and then headed out for the night. After a little Mexican food… yes they have Mexican food in Ecuador, but only the gringos eat it! We went to a bar called Finn McCools the only Irish owned an operated Irish Pub in Ecuador that was hosting an all day drinking extravaganza! Because the beer was a little expensive we chose to move to a lesser-known lesser Irish bar with $1 beers and 2 for $1.50 cocktails, that was the place for us! We got our faces/ moustaches pained and had a blast!
As many of you may not know Sunday was International Down Syndrome day and to celebrate and raise awareness we did a march in Quito in unison with 14 other cities and towns in Ecuador and hundreds if not thousands of communities in the world. My volunteer service here in Ecuador is Special Olympics so as a volunteer I was sent to a specific foundation to work with people with special needs. At first it was really hard but now its like hanging out with a bunch of friends. The march was huge and incorporated dozens of other foundations in Pichincha and their families and friends. We had thousands of walkers, policemen, bands, concerts and it was all a lot of fun! This Thursday at midnight I leave for the Huaorani Territory by bus and boat, check out the link to learn a little bit about them! Hope all is well!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaorani
http://www.waoraniexhibition.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment